Sunday, July 4, 2010

Summer Reading Suggestion #4

I recommended The Wednesday Wars at the end of this past school year, but I don't think I had any takers. It is another must read book. I love it because it is a little bit out of the ordinary and it's realistic fiction, a genre I don't normally read. You could say it's historical fiction as well as it's set in the late 1960's during the Vietnam War, but that's not the focus. This book was recommended to me by Mrs. Vanden Heuvel who also let me borrow it.

The main character Holling Hoodhood (Love that name!), is the only Presbyterian in his seventh grade class. Why does that make any difference? It's because his Catholic and Jewish classmates attend religious classes every Wednesday afternoon...during school time. Holling is left alone at school with Mrs. Baker, his Language Arts teacher. Holling believes that she hates him.

At the beginning, Holling does tasks around the classroom for Mrs. Baker, but after a while, Mrs. Baker decides things are not working out. Therefore, she begins assigning Shakespeare plays which they begin discussing. Holling HATES it, but soon turns around.

Each chapter of this book is a month of his seventh grade school year...pretty cool. The book is about lessons learned while maturing such as respect and acceptance. It's funny, sad, thoughtful and encouraging. I'm sure you'll love it as much as I have....but beware, the beginning is a bit slow, but absolutely necessary for the plot development.

If you want to read the first two and a half chapters, click here.