Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer Reading Suggestion #5

Today I am going to write about the first two books in the 6-book series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. I will do a review of the next two in the series AFTER I read them!

As you may know, science fiction/science fantasy was HUGE in my class this past year. Actually, reading ANY book was huge in my class. I so loved the interaction and the love of books! I will miss that next year, not teaching reading.

This series is science fantasy. It is about Good vs Evil, Dark vs Light. In this first book, The Alchemyst, the twins Josh and Sophie are the ones mentioned in the prophecy found in the ancient Book of Abraham the Mage, known as the Codex. They have the power to save the world once these powers are Awakened.

The Codex has been stolen by Dr. John Dee who serves an evil Dark Elder. He has also kidnapped Perenelle, the wife of Nicholas Flamel, the famous immortal Alchemyst. Nicholas takes the twins to Awaken their powers by the neutral Elder Hekate. This is necessary in order to prevent the Dark Elders from taking over the earth. However, Hekate is only able to Awaken Sophie before Hekate's home, the Shadowrealm, is destroyed. Flamel, the twins, and Scathach, the Warrior, escape just in time. This begins their journey to request help from witches, other immortals, and other Elders to teach Sophie about her new found powers and how to control them. There is lots of excitement, adventure, tense moments when all fight monsters from legend.

The Magician starts where The Alchemyst ends off. In the first book we learn about Nicholas Flamel and his sorceress wife Perenelle. We continue to learn more about them in this second book. We also learn more about Dr. John Dee, The Magician. More exciting battles ensues. Sophie learns a new power and Josh is faced with the decision to have his powers Awakened by a Dark Elder. Does he choose Good or does he choose Evil? Read both of these books to find out!

I just downloaded my third book, The Sorceress. I can't wait to read it!

The wonderful thing I also found out is that The Alchemyst is being turned into a film currently in production! I hope not to be disappointed....