Saturday, July 31, 2010

Summer Reading Suggestion #7


I have been reading nonstop to the point where I'm doing pretty much nothing else! So many books....so little time is correct!!

The next book I want to tell you about is one I have had in my class collection since earlier in the year. I got it as a free book with my Scholastic Book order. It was put out with my other class library books, but I didn't even give it a second look until just a few days ago. The Book of Tormod, A Templar's Apprentice, written by Kat Black, is set in the 14th century...PERFECT to read if you're interested in or studying the Middles Ages.

Sir Alexander, Knight Templar, has the gift of VISION and this vision leads him to a small Scottish farm and to Tormod, a young 13 year old Scottish boy. Tormod, the seventh son, also has the vision, but he doesn't really know it. He has had glimpses of its powers, but has thought that only he was different...until he met the Knight Templar! Pursued by French King Phillippe's soldiers, Sir Alexander and Tormod travel from Scotland, to England, Spain, and finally to France. They follow a map, not knowing what they will find, but both know that is a matter of life and death.

As they flee the enemy, Tormod begins to understand and control his visions, guided by the Knight Templar. He also begins to grow up and mature as he learns about himself and the Knights Templar and their history. This first of a multi-book series is fast paced, intriguing, and full of excitement.

It's A MUST READ!! If you like it, its sequel, The Book of Tormod, A Templar's Gifts, will be published in February.